Ward Seven Street Names
One question I get quite frequently is the history of our street names. Below you will find a list of the names of most streets in Ward Seven and the history behind their names. We have a wonderful history in Newmarket and its important we celebrate it. Special thanks to the Newmarket Historical Society for the information and research done in compiling this history - To view other street names please purchase their book 'Newmarket The Origin of Street Names'.
Alex Doner Drive: Samuel Alex Doner farmed on lot 94, 1st Concession West side of Yonge St., where he kept a fine herd of Jersey cattle. He died January 16, 1966. The farm home and barns were demolished in 1980. The property became part of the Glenway subdivision.
Art West Way: A barber by profession he was a lifelong resident of Newmarket and operated a barbershop on Main Street at various locations for many years. Also he commenced showing moving pictures and erected and operated a movie theatre called the Strand, located on the east side of Main Street just north of Walter Street
Bathurst Street: Was named after Henry, third earl of Bathurst, Secretary for War and the Colonies, 1812-1827.
Beare Trail: Named for Steward Beare who operated a furniture, radio/television store at various locations in Newmarket for 46 years
Binns Avenue: George Alexander Binns successfully operated a hardware business on Newmarket’s Main Street for 35 years.
Brammar Street: The Brammar family pioneered in the Sharon area and participated in the 1837 rebellion. Descendants came to Newmarket where they were long time residents. Joseph Brammar was a member of the volunteer fire brigade and was the town building inspector.
Brimson Drive: John Brimson (1842-1914) was a carriage maker whose shop, factory, and residence were on the north side of Lot Street (Millard Ave) between Main St. and Raglan St. His son Rober was a superintendent at Cane’s Woodenware factory for 30 years.
Bulmer Crescent: Everett Oscar Bulmer, a barber by trade, in 1958 he opened a barbershop on Davis Drive on the property current occupied as the Newmarket Plaza. When the Plaza was built in 1960 his shop was torn down and Everett Bulmer leased a space that is still operating as a Barber Shop to this day. Bulmer passed away in 1979.
Carlissa Run: Carlissa was the name of a farm property on Yonge St. purchased by the Kumpala family and later developed by Mattamy Homes. It had previously been owned by the Robinson family.
Chillcott Crescent: Barbara Chillcott was a renowned actress of stage and screen during the middle of the 20th century. She was a daughter of EJ Davis of Davis Leather, and grew up at the Davis home on Park Ave. She took her mother’s maiden name as her stage name.
Cliff Gunn Road: Cliff was a long time volunteer with the Newmarket Fire Department. He was appointed first paid full time Chief of the Department October 1, 1969. He retired from that position December 7, 1977 being succeeded by Sam Rippey. He died April 15, 1999.
Crossland Gate: James Crossland, and later his son Ernie, were owners of farm lot 95 on the west side of Yonge St. that was originally in King Township. Their holdings also included parcels in lot 94 east side of Yonge St. that were annexed to the Town in 1951. James subdivided that area when Millard Ave. was extended, and Ernie operated the farm on the west side of Yonge until it was developed as part of the Glenway subdivision in the 1980’s.
Davis Drive: It was named after the Davis family who operated a large leather tannery on the north side of the road, just west of the Holland River, from the early 20th Century until the 1960’s. In 1946 the street name was changed from Huron Street, named for one of the great lakes. This street was also the town line between Whitchurch and East Gwillimbury Townships.
Dawson Manor Boulevard: It is located on a portion of the colonial estate of Dr. John Dawson who migrated to the 200 acre lot 97 on Yonge St. in 1830. With his family and servants he established a farm homestead that survived for seven generations. The house was later moved to the west end of the boulevard.
Dean Burton Lane: He was a town councillor in the 1990’s who moved to the United States during the last year of his term.
Dowson Loop: Named after local resident, John Downson, because of significant contributions he has made to the community over a period of many years.
Eves Court: Walter H Eves was a lumber merchant, town councillor 1911-1916, and mayor 1917-1921. He established a coal and lumber yard and planing mill on Davis Dr., east of Main St., in 1906.
Emerson Way: Katherine D. Emerson was the Director of Planning for the Town of Newmarket
Ford Wilson Boulevard: Ford Wilson was a mechanic by trade who moved to Newmarket in 1900. He operated an automobile repair business until retiring in 1955. He also operated a local five piece dance band call “The Top Hats” in which he was the drummer. The band played square dance music in area venues.
Gail Parks Crescent: Gail was a Town Councillor for many years, and was active in the community. When her husband retired the family moved to Red Deer, Alberta, to be near a daughter. Gail was elected to Red Deer City Council.
Gibney Crescent: It was named for Delbert (Del) Gibney, who was a very active and entrepreneurial automobile salesman who worked for a local dealer in the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s.
Gilpin Drive: It was named for two generations of the Gilpin family who were well known housepainters in the area. Scott Gilpin was a former Councillor.
Herb Cain Avenue: He was a professional hockey player who was born and educated in Newmarket. He played amateur hockey with the Newmarket Redmen, 1930-1932, and professional hockey with the NHL, first with the Montreal Maroons, 1933-1938, then the Montreal Canadiens 1938-1939, the Boston Bruins 1939-1946, finishing his hockey career with the Hershey Bears 1946-1950.
Inniscara Gate: It was named after a farm property at one time owned by the Robinson family and later called the Toth Farm that was part of lot 96 on the north side of Davis Dr. that originally extended between Yonge and Bathurst.
John Bowser Crescent: John W. Bowser was a building contractor who supervised the building of the Empire State Building in New York, the American Embassy in Tokyo, Japan as well as many other major constructions in the United States. He purchased lot 95in the 1st concession of King Township, west of Yonge St. and South of Davis Dr., in 1933 and raised purebred Aberdeen Angus Cattle. In 1948 he sold the farm to James Crossland. He is buried in the Aurora Cemetery where his memorial stone is a replica of the Empire State Building.
Karl Rose Trail: Karl Rose was a Newmarket High School teacher and involved in many aspects of the life of the community, some of which were sports activities and environmental and political issues.
Keith Avenue: Honours William Keith for his public service. He was a town councillor, reeve, and Warden of York County in 1908. As mayor in 1918 he led the celebrations at the end of WWI. He was elected to the Ontario Legislature in 1923 and sat until 1926. He was appointed a magistrate in 1929 and later became the chief magistrate of York County.
Ken Bishop Way: Ken is a long time employee of the Town of Newmarket in its department of Public Works.
Knapton Drive: He was a member of the Town Council from 1957 to 1962. Later he was appointed as Town Clerk in 1961 until resigning in 1962, and also 1964 to 1965.
Kwapis Boulevard: the Habitat for Humanity Charity held a fundraiser silent auction in which on eof the auctioned items was to have a street named after the successful bidder. Bob Kwapis was the highest bidder.
Marsden Court: JW Marsden originally came to Newmarket from England to manage the woollen mills on Gorham St. Later he owned and operated a grain mill east of the railway station between Water and Timothy Streets. The mill burnt in 1875. He also had a granary at the corner of Davis Dr. and Main St. that was later destroyed by fire. He died in 1878.
Matthew Boyd Crescent: A grandson of Charles E. Boyd and son of Ted Boyd who subdivided streets in this area giving some of them family names.
Mathews Court: Norman L Mathews was a barrister and town solicitor 1924-194t and town clerk and treasurer 1925-1945. He came to Newmarket in 1921 and established the firm of Mathews and Lyons that later was extended to Mathews, Lyons, Stiver and Vale.
McCaffrey Road: Eugene McCaffrey was a lifelong resident of Newmarket and a descendant of ancestors who came from Ireland in the mid 1800s. He was a founder of the Newmarket Lions Club Music Festival and author of its 20 year history.
Memorial Gardens Way: The OSPCA, located then at 16440 Yonge St. owned a quantity of land that included a pet cemetery called “Memory Lane”. When the property was sold for development the cemetery was moved to Midland, Ontario. It is about midway between Yonge St. and Bathurst St. From Dawson Manor Blvd. pass on to Alred Smith Way and then to Woodspring Ave, then south to Memorial Gardens Way.
Millard Avenue: It was named after the Millard family whose ancestor came to Newmarket in 1812 and purchased 200 acres consisting of lot 94 and the bottom half of lot 95 in the 1st Concession from Timothy Rogers. They figured prominently in the life and development of the town.
Needler Crescent: Larry Needler started a taxi business in Newmarket after the Second World War and built it into a transportation giant called Travelways which he sold in 1979 for a reported 11.8 million dollars.
Osborne Family Way: They were a Newmarket family whose various members have been involved mainly in the plumbing and heating business from the early 1900s to the present day. Some members have served in municipal politics.
Otton Road: James D Otton was a barrister and Mayor of Newmarket 1960-1961. He began his law practice in 1951, was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1961 and assistant crown attorney to county court in 1962.
Patti McCulloch Way: A manager of the H&R Décor Service with over 17 years who succumbed o breast cancer after a long and courageous struggle. She was also a participant in the CIBC Breast Cancer Marathon Run.
Peevers Crescent: Kenneth Peevers came to Newmarket after WWII with a distinguished military record. He married Helen Rose whose family was connected with the Roadhouse and Rose Funeral directors. He was Assistant Registrar of the York North Land Registry Office in Newmarket.
Rannie Road: William Rannie was principal 1877-99 of the Prospect Street Public School and then first principal of the Alexander Muir School after it was constructed.
Ray Snow Boulevard: A resident of Newmarket, past president of the Bayview Hills Community Association, and small business owner, Ray Snow was elected to Council in 1980 and continued as councillor with many re-elections.
Rhodes Circle: The Rev. Canon James T Rhodes was Rector of St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Newmarket, from shortly after the Second World War until his retirement in June, 1973.
Roadhouse Boulevard: Neriah John Roadhouse was a cabinet maker and undertaker. He was a Town Councillor from 1894-1904, Mayor from 1905-1907. He died on November 11, 1932.
Ross Patrick Crescent: Ross Patrick was a long time employee of the Town of Newmarket.
Slingerland Circle: It was named for Dr. Owen Slingerland as the County of York’s one time Medical Officer of Health.
Sykes Road: Samuel Sykes was an enterprising engineer with many talents. He owned and operated an iron foundry and machine shop on the north side of Davis Dr. just east of the Holland River in the 1860’s.
William Booth Avenue: Named in recognition of the founder of the Salvation Army
William Curtis Circle: William (Billy) Curtis was a Newmarket resident. In 1971 he was appointed to the position of Building Inspector. He died in June, 1982.
William Dunn Crescent: Mr. Dunn was a long-time respected resident of Newmarket who served on the Newmarket Fire Department for about 40 years. He was Deputy Fire Chief for many of the latter years of that service. Upon his death in 1974 Newmarket witnessed one of the largest, if not the largest, fireman’s funerals in its history at the United Church on Main St.
Williamson Family Hollow: The Williamson Family has been in Newmarket since 1816 and has roots connected to the other familiar names since the 1700’s. These other branches include such names as Lundy, Brammar, Bond, Sheridan, Steckley and many others. The branch of the family most familiar to Newmarket owned and operated the Newmarket Dairy at 52 Prospect St.
Yonge Street: It was named by Governor Simcoe after Sir George Yonge, Member of Parliament for Honiton, England and Secretary of State For Ward 1782-1794. One of the first streets laid out by Governor Simcoe, in 1794 it extended from the town of York (Toronto) at Bloor St. north to Lake Simcoe (Arthur).